I’m on holiday at the moment with the whanau, living it up in sun-kissed England. Yes, the sun is shining, in a very uncharacteristically hot way for the UK, more recently better known for its biblical floods and other meteorological pestilence. It is a much anticipated holiday, and the first chance for the family to meet Flo, the most recent addition to the Cooper-Partridge Collective. It’s also a great opportunity to indulge in some simple pleasures that I associate strongly with England…. the emphasis here being very much on ‘simple’! Here are my ambitions for our England Tour 2013!
- Eat a proper Dorset Cream Tea, with fat fluffy scones and jam and cream!
- Visit a stately home… any one will do, but it’s got to be Stately
- Fish and chips on Weymouth Harbour… and maybe partake of a World Famous in Dorset thanks to Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall Mackerel Bun I’ve been hearing about
- Drink warm beer with
- a packet of Pork Scratchings (missions 4 and 5 complete!)
- Eat a pork pie (done, several times over)
- Eat a scotch egg (done. See notes for 6 above)
- Have a ploughmans in a proper village pub
- Spot a badger (alive, not roadkill)
- Spot a fox (ditto)
- Build sandcastles on the beach (mission accomplished!)
- Eat cockles (done!)
- Surf (that’s a Mr P objective. I’m content with a
- swim in the sea (done!)
- Go rock pooling (done!)
- Indulge in a bit of Pick your Own. Don’t mind what!
- Have a Ginsters Chicken and Mushroom Slice. I know it’s wrong, nutritionally null and void, but I can’t help it, I love ’em!
The list belies my working class roots and the fact I am motivated by food! Going on a trip to your homeland? What are your holiday ambitions?