This month there is a distinct folksy flavour, with a bit of moderate punk thrown in!
- Tragic Roundabout – Cigarettes and Petrol – two items increasingly unfashionable and unaffordable! If you like modern manifestations of klezmer, and like your whisky straight out of the bottle, then Tragic Roundabout is the band for you! From Brighton, England, their music has been described as “more terrific than tragic… a joyous, heart lifting, glorious noise”! And I agree! Check them out.
- Paulo Nutini, Pencil Full of Lead – for my mum, Avie, absolutely top bird!
- New Order, Blue Monday – this is the first of Emma McCleary’s two tracks. To find out why she chose it, listen to my show at 8pm on 21st June, 92.7FM (NZ), and http://www.arrowfm.co.nz
- The Beatles, She’s Leaving Home – Emma’s second track.
- Adam and the Ants, Cartrouble – what a track, to be listened to on WOF days and rainy days!
- Luke Temple, Ophelia – I’d not heard of this guy until I discovered the iPhone app, Band of the Day, which generates a different little known or up and coming band every day of the week. Top app, and this guy is a great find. Oh, and the app was free, I think!
- Queen, Don’t Stop Me Now – an homage to Her Maj! A very tangential homage!
- Bear Hug, Over the Hill – discovered this band for the first time on one of those rainy day trawls of iTunes where you have $1.79 just itching to be spent on music!